Their sinister objective is clear: they want to force President Bola Tinubu to declare a state of emergency in Edo because they have no confidence in securing victory at the Edo Election Petition Tribunal
The Edo chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) has raised the alarm that some major opposition political parties are planning to instigate a crisis in the state and make it ungovernable.
The state APC chairman, Jarret Tenebe, raised the alarm during a news conference on Tuesday in Abuja.
“It has come to our attention that the leadership of some major opposition parties in our state, along with two others, has devised a reckless and dangerous plot to instigate crisis and make Edo ungovernable,” he said.
Mr Tenebe alleged that those behind the plot aimed to force President Bola Tinubu to declare a state of emergency in the state.
“Their sinister objective is clear: they want to force President Bola Tinubu to declare a state of emergency in Edo because they have no confidence in securing victory at the Edo Election Petition Tribunal.
The tribunal will, on Wednesday, deliver judgment on the petition filed by the PDP candidate, Asue Ighodalo, against the outcome of the governorship election on September 21, 2024.
The APC chairman alleged that the opposition, in their desperation, had resorted to acts of sabotage, hoping to manipulate public perception and judicial sentiment in their favour.
He said that as part of their plans, they had enlisted some disbanded members of the State Security Network to orchestrate violence, as seen in Uromi, Esan North-East Local Government Area.
“Their aim is to falsely implicate the state government in these disruptions, creating a narrative that fosters chaos and sympathy for their failed cause,” he said.
Mr Tenebe called for the arrest of some of the opposition party leaders in the state over the recent killings of 16 people in Uromi.
He said the call for their arrest was premised on the intelligence report before APC, which allegedly indicted them.
“Their recent criticism of Governor Monday Okpebholo for travelling to Kano State to condole with victims’ families has further exposed their involvement in the Uromi mayhem,” he said.
He accused the opposition of hypocrisy and desperation, adding that the governor and APC in the state would not be deceived by their antics.
Mr Tenebe also alleged that some opposition members outside the country were instigating violence in the state.
“As a political party, we are going to formally write to foreign missions, embassies and other international bodies to extradite these fellows who keep inciting the public to commit acts of terrorism.
“They must be repatriated to Nigeria in order to face terrorism charges.
“Let me make it categorically clear: no amount of blackmail, intimidation, or desperate orchestration will stop our governor from emerging victorious at the tribunal on Wednesday.
“The people of Edo have spoken, and their mandate will not be stolen through underhand tactics.
“Their antics will not weaken us; rather, it will make Edo stronger. We will continue to stand firm in defence of democracy, justice and the rule of law,” he said.
The APC chairman also said that since coming on board, the governor has been tackling insecurity in the state, making it a thing of the past.
He said Mr Okpebholo had procured some security gadgets, Hilux vehicles, and drones, which had been distributed to security agencies to aid in apprehending the criminals operating in the state.
According to him, the Okpebholo-led administration will not rest on its oars until the state is totally free from every form of crime and criminality and residents, irrespective of their religious and ethnic affiliations, begin to live in peace.
He appealed to the APC faithful in the state to remain calm as they await the tribunal judgment on Wednesday.
(NAN)