Mutfwang visits Mangu attack victims, vows to protect plateau communities

This government would not relent in its determination to secure the state and create an environment conducive to the prosperity and well-being of its people

By Moses Okorie

Plateau State Governor Caleb Mutfwang has condemned the deadly attack on Bin-mper community in Mangu Local Government Area, describing the incident as a barbaric and senseless assault on innocent residents.

The governor spoke on Thursday when he visited the affected community in Kombum District to commiserate with families of the victims of the attack, which reportedly left 24 people dead.

The community was attacked on the night of Monday, August 18, with women and children among those reportedly killed.

Mutfwang expressed deep sorrow over the incident and admitted that the government had a duty to protect citizens from attacks.

“I condole with you all today and plead with you to take courage in the Lord.

“As a government, we take responsibility for failing to protect you. We plead that you please take heart,” he said.

The governor described the killings as a “barbaric, senseless and evil display” against innocent people, stressing that the attack represented a direct challenge to his administration’s efforts to protect lives and property.

“It was not only an attack against your community but also an attack on me,” Mutfwang said.

He assured residents that his administration would intensify security operations across vulnerable areas of the state to prevent a recurrence.

According to him, the government remained committed to securing Plateau and creating conditions that would allow residents to live and pursue their livelihoods without fear.

“This government would not relent in its determination to secure the state and create an environment conducive to the prosperity and well-being of its people,” he said.

Mutfwang further assured the people of Bin-mper that they would not be displaced from their ancestral lands by the perpetrators of the violence.

“We will do everything within our powers to ensure that you remain on your land. Nobody will take over your land,” he said.

He also disclosed that security agencies had arrested some suspects in connection with the attack, adding that the government would closely monitor the investigation and ensure that the matter was pursued to its logical conclusion.

The governor later paid a courtesy visit to the palace of the Mishkagham Mwaghavul, Da. Putmang Hirse, alongside the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Community Engagement, Abiodun Esiet.

Mutfwang assured the traditional institution of the Federal Government’s support and said efforts would be intensified to tackle insecurity and restore lasting peace across Plateau State.

Esiet, who was in Plateau on a condolence visit, had earlier participated in a retreat organised by the Plateau Initiative for Development and Advancement of the Natives (PIDAN).

She called on political, traditional and community leaders to continue promoting peaceful coexistence, stressing that peace was fundamental to the progress of Plateau and Nigeria.

In his response, Hirse expressed appreciation to Mutfwang and his delegation for visiting the community at a difficult time.

He described the attack as deliberate and particularly painful because residents were caught unaware while asleep.

“This is something we least expected; people were asleep when they were massacred,” he said.

The traditional ruler said Mangu had historically been a peaceful area where residents coexisted with their neighbours and welcomed people from different communities.

“Yet, we were attacked,” he added.

Despite the tragedy, Hirse said the Mwaghavul people would not be intimidated or driven from their ancestral homes, pledging their continued commitment to peace and the rule of law.

“No amount of intimidation would force us to abandon our ancestral land or undermine our resolve to live peacefully in our communities,” he said.

Spread the love

Leave a Reply